My Step into Modern in 2014

After missing from my blog for a while.....an update will be.....I had started Modern format in Magic: The Gathering

The step into modern is not easy as it requires..

Good Skills to anticipate and also to understand and predetermine opponent strategies from a vast amount of cards. (From 8th edition until the newest set in Standard
Source : http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrmodern). If you followed me correctly that is a whopping 8383 (Correct as time of posting) legal cards!!

To start off I had bought the event modern deck for well $100 (I had trusted that the price is a pre-order price) and nevertheless it dropped to $75 in games haven after that which well I had to blame myself for jumping in too soon. However for such packs you don't really know if the price is going to go straight down or jumps up, but i'm happy to get a copy.

It had cards like Elspeth Knight-Errant and Sword of Feast of Famine which I don't mind to have more copies of, and what intrigued me the most is actually the land named Windbrisk Heights.


It brought me back a few blocks of Standard magic from the block of Innistrad which I had used cards like Midnight Haunting and the signature Lingering Souls along with Intangible Virtue to gain some big tokens to swing for lethal. However in the end the idea did not do very well as I had also tried to use the combo of Liliana Vess along with Entreat the Angels to gain some cute and yet fun mechanics to stun the play group.

That all didn't really work well as I fell to 1-2 in a 3 rounds match last night. (I had 1 win in the score due to the last round bye which means I did not win a single modern match at all!)
Devastated, I had identified the certain cards that did not work well for me and make changes as needed.

Concept: The BW Token is not like what I thought it is. A draw, cast, attack, then go type of deck. After changing the concept of this idea...I had to google around and check up lists that had the idea of playing around with BW tokens. I figured that I have to change the way I play the deck. With some monetary restrictions I had to form the deck with only the cards I have and I came up with this list.
2 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Aven Mindcensor
3 Sin Collector
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa

Spells:32
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Path to Exile
4 Thoughtseize
3 Honor of the Pure
2 Intangible Virtue
4 Raise the Alarm
3 Zealous Persecution
4 Lingering Souls
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
1 Elspeth Tirel
4 Spectral Procession
Lands:20
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Vault of the Archangel
3 Windbrisk Heights

Sideboard:15
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Duress
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Witchbane Orb

There is well, alot of people playing for things that search up for other things. Lets talk about the cycle of Fetch Lands and then Birthing Pod in the Metagame. I believe that Aven Mindcensor and Tidehollow Sculler will definitely be the card to stop some early stuff from happening.


Sin Collector, along with Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize will try to delay the game so that I can get my kill-cons out and towards my advantage.


Lastly for my tokens I have Anthems that allow them to become much better. Honor of the Pure, Intangible Virtue, Zealous Persecution and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad will make sure that my tokens are not just hitting for 1s.


Lastly, we are talking about our kill-con and win condition ya! Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is not just the anthem provider but as a secondary token generator as well. Thus in this part of the deck we have to introduce the entire suite of token producer.

We have 6 cards that produce from a range of 1 token to 3 tokens which revolves around Soldier or Spirits. They are all expendables and will be used aggressively after the initial package to disrupted the opponent worked. Flashing in raise the alarm to initial a counterspell then follow up with a spectral procession or a sorin in main phase is usually the plan.

Against decks defintely we have some problematic creatures which we have to pack removals mainboard to remove creatures like Tarmogoyf or Kiki-Jiki combos. Thus the only mainboard removal that I had packed into the deck is Path to Exile and against Decks with alot of 1 toughness creatures, Zealous Persecution will also work well.


I had not really tested the sideboards out as I hope that this revision will allow me to snatch some games back. Gotta go back to work!!!!

- Synn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neglected XinSynn

Synn-Insanity 005

Synn-Insanity 008