Green Based Devotion Deck

I had always enjoyed Standard and in this time M15 that is released marks one of the best core sets that we have seen since perhaps M11 or M12. I had fond memories of the previous sets as the printing of the Titan cycles that sees alot of decks going high up the mana curves to play the Titans.

I know that I am fond of the green color side of Magic ever since quite a while ago which most of my competitive decks starts from well Green. This time round I had designed another deck that perhaps alot of people had seen already and after piloting it I had brought it to some form of success which nets me some promo foils for FNM.

Why I had the idea to make this deck? It comes from actually one card. And that is...



So anyone do not understand? That means if we have devotion (number of mana symbols of the permanents we control) we can do well wonders! I was thinking about that for a while and I wanted to do a few things with the mana with some green cards that I have in my collections.

I was thinking of a SUPER BIG creature, with Haste, and Uncounterable plus protection from a colour which is arguably one of the best deck in the metagame now....behold!


How about a 20/20 Mistcutter Hydra by Turn 6 or something? That sounds interesting isn't it? Long with M15 comes another creature that really gives a lot of value with a version of Cascade in Standard.  Genesis Hydra with X = 10 into another permanent is also something not a joke for the opponent. As in...Cascade into....


OMG!

So after that I tried to see how the deck have to be built so that we can go ahead and go do all these imbalanced stuff. So in Green well...we will need these ramp creatures to ramp us to have more mana to start the devotion combo...


Voyaging Satyr gets to untap nykthos for another mega load of mana into the mana pool or just a regular land when we need an extra Red or Black Mana. Sylvan Caryatid is able to tap for both the red and the black mana when we need them for Xenagos & Vraska. I placed Courser here is because it is a card that usually able to give us an extra hand. With this in play we are basically playing with hand size plus one!



Double Green Devotion Creatures like Swordwise Centaur, Courser of Kruphix, Polukranos, World Eater,  provides us with even more devotion and also double up as threats in the early 4 to 5 turns of the game. Swordwise Centaur is a value creature with 3 power in the second turn presents a good attacker which the opponent cannot ignore after a while. 4 toughness from Courser of Kruphix is also a wall for aggressive decks. Polukranos is just a monster for 4 mana with a 5/5 body.


Resilience is a key in green decks. Why? In the world of Magic, there are control decks that focuses on getting the creatures away with a clear boards like Supreme Verdicts or Planar Cleansing. We do need something in the deck that has powers to resist such a devastating effect. The god of the hunt do 2 things. Firstly, she is indestructible, meaning beside exiling this creature, she is not going to leave the battlefield easily. Secondly, with our devotion idea, she is also going to be online easier as a 6/6 indestructible creature that grants other creatures on the battlefield trample. Reaper of the Wilds? Just like aetherling, it is just another creature that really difficult to die. Although the Reaper dies to clear board effects but we do have Golgari Charm to save him and our other creatures with regeneration.

I had always need the final card to complete the deck and I have to say that I need this card to do some form of damage. At the same time it can also be used to disrupt my opponent. After looking around...and I came up to


Something interesting?? LOL I had so much mana at one point that I pointed Rakdos's Return for 15 points of damage. Or Flesh and Blood, Polukranos onto Courser targeting my opponent for 7 damage and then attack my opponent for another 7 damage. The burst damage is valuable.

2 Genesis Hydra
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Swordwise Centaur
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Voyaging Satyr
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Reaper of the Wilds

Spells:13
1 Flesh // Blood
3 Golgari Charm
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
Lands:24
8 Forest
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Malady

Sideboard:15
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Pithing Needle
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Plummet
2 Ultimate Price
3 Boon Satyr

I will wish that I can get at least 1 or 2 more Nissa, Worldwaker to replace 1 Scavenging Ooze as well as 1 Reaper of the Wilds. As the price currently (SGD $35) is a bit steep for me to get it.

Hopefully I'm able to get some games during FNM to report updated results with this deck.

-Synn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neglected XinSynn

Synn-Insanity 005

Synn-Insanity 008