Green Devotion Deck Part 2

Hi Everyone!

I had promised to get some details out with the deck as per my last post when I play around with my playgroup. It was fun, However, I didn't really win much actually, I was playing around with decks with my friends which consists of Junk Midrange, Junk Planeswalker, Black-White MidRange, Esper Control.

2 Genesis Hydra
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Swordwise Centaur
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Voyaging Satyr
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Reaper of the Wilds

Spells:13
1 Flesh // Blood
3 Golgari Charm
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
Lands:24
8 Forest
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Malady

Sideboard:15
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Pithing Needle
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Plummet
2 Ultimate Price
3 Boon Satyr

After Testing, I found out a few points about the deck. I was really really weak to mass destruction, and even decks which focused on green creature main board destruction is a problem. The presence of the card Lifebane Zombie is a threat that almost made this deck unplayable. This deck also did not have instant removals which also made Obzedat, Ghost Council a card that pinpoints the deck's death, the same thing also applies to Aetherling.


I have a mana base that is vastly required by my board presence, and that my board presence of Swordwise Centaur is really the one that got sacrificed and also he is unable to block ash zealot as the toughness is only 2 for a 3 power creature. The card Kalonian Tusker will actually solve this problem, the card that I do not have due to M14 was not actively purchased by me. Lastly, Garruk, Caller of Beasts is not that good because I am always drawing my mana producers in the +1 ability. The only card that I felt in this deck is really the MVP, and that is Rakdos's Return.


Rakdo's Return had been the card that surprises everyone, which is able to pick up the hands of our opponent and strip them of their defences, and that is the way to win our match-ups.

Round 1 vs MonoBlue Devotion

I had lost to Monoblue Devotion previously in my last FNM, and so I had not been quite happy to lose my game one to Monoblue devotion. To keep the post short. Basically I won 2-0 due to my opponent is not really good with his deck and made some small mistakes that allowed me to ramp into my threats to take the game.

Game 1, my opponent kept a slow hand which ultimately I had the opportunity to play Polukranos which was destroyed by rapid hybridisation. I was able to play Flesh and Blood onto my courser which made my courser 7/9, which I had dealt 7 damage to my opponent, attack with my 7/9 courser. Then after that I Rakdos's Return for 10 to win the game.

Game 2, I had won hands down due to I was able to destroy all of his creatures by a timely Golgari Charm, into Genesis Hydra which Cascades into Vraska to destroy his Tidebinder Mage. Then goes down hill for him when I rakdos's return him for 5, discarding all his remaining 3 cards. His top deck failed him and I win the game.

Round 2 vs Black White Red Aggro

First game opponent was pressuring me with a turn 1 Soldier of Pantheon. Which I had traded Voyaging Satyr with him. He had a second Soldier and I had a second Satyr, I was able to take 2 from the Soldier and goes into Polukranos. He relaxed his attack on me and casted Brimaz, but I was able to draw into Genesis Hydra for 6 into Vraska destroying his Brimaz. I attacked with my Polukranos. No blocks from opponent and he proceeded to cast Nyx-Fleeced Ram. To me that does absolutely nothing to me. However he do have a Banishing Light for my Hydra. Now it is devastating as even if I do have Golgari Charm, I won't be able to get back the Hydra. It will simply just comes back as a 0/0 which sends it to the graveyard due to state effect. I casted Xenagos and make a Satyr and attack with both. He had to block my Token and take the polukranos damage. I casted Garruk and draws 5, and then make another Genesis Hydra into Nissa and my opponent scoops when the top deck revealed Rakdos's Return.

Game 2 my opponent just jammed on land and I jammed on red mana. I was able to go into green devotion soon enough with courser and sword wise into garruk. I had Xenagos and Rakdos's Return stuck in my hand. It was a long wait and my opponent keep on hammering me until he was able to kill my Garruk, Courser and Swordwise, leaving me with just lands. I had attacked my opponent until 1 life and I was unable to do anything to deal that 1 damage to my opponent. I had to keep taking damage and blocking with my Polukranos which had been on guard duty for a long time. I was able to draw Temple of Abandon and breathe heavily as my opponent was able to cast Ajani, Caller of Pride and do a +1 on his Brimaz and attacked me down to 13. Next turn all he needs to do is to send the brimaz in the air with double strike to deal me 14 for lethel. Next Turn I breathe heavily and showed my opponent the Rakdo's Return and he scooped.

Round 3 Vs Black White MidRange

I thought I was getting closed to Foil Bile Blight but well I lost. My opponent didn't want to split and we ended up playing the game and I lost.

Game 1 I jammed on 2 lands and a Caryatid which got devoured Flesh. My opponent made quick work on me as he ultimate priced my Voyaging Satyr and then Lifebane Zombie my Genesis Hydra. Thoughtseize grabbed the Xenagos and I was left with 1 land in my hand by turn 4. When he casted Blood Baron of Vizkopa I held on to see more and was finished by a Turn 5 Obzedat.

Game 2 - I was really lucky to be on the Play and played good speed to go into Polukranos and his life bane zombie did not hit anything in my hand to show him lands and planes walkers. My Vraska took care of his Demon and Golgari Charmed against his Hero's Downfall on my Polukranos. Genesis Hydra into Garruk which draws me Reaper of the Wilds and the Green God Nylea,  and I ended up Raping him with the Horde which he ran out even his Scuttling Doom Engine can do nothing much about it.

Game 3 - Once again....Sign...I was on the Draw and he was really fast with his current hand. Turn 2 Pack Rats into Turn 3 Lifebane Zombie, Turn 4 he was able to Thoughtseize and then make his Rat, Turn 5 Lifebane zombie, and then Turn 6 Doom Engine.....Turn 7 Doom Engine part 2. What do I have? I have well the same things, and yet the Doom Engines just dropped my life points so fast that I lost the game in no time.....

Verdict....I have to do something to the deck which is able to do something to decks that is fast. I was lucky that vs the Aggro deck in round 2, I am lucky to draw answers and his threats are not that fast. I was looking around after the games, and I was curious about Rabble-Red and they are really fast with consistent turn 4 kills. I do have to do some thinking about it.....

MVP ^_^

-Synn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neglected XinSynn

Synn-Insanity 005

Synn-Insanity 008